The Vegan Club

A private club for vegans to meet and relax in a (finally) cruelty free safe zone. Recipes, life stories, ideas... enter in the Club to find out!

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Recipe: Delightful Millet

Mind you, I wanted to title the post "Millet, the Friendly Stranger", since it rarely enters in my grocery list (I use it only in one recipe for soup, of all things) and despite loving it, as most dry foods, I tend to forget it in the pantry. So for me it is some sort of friendly stranger. But wait: that is also the name of a well known.... ermh.... herb shop. Not 'herbal': that place sells weed. Legally or illegally, I don't know. And since this wants to be a kid-save zone, that title started to sound wrong in my head: I do not want to promote any sort of smoking activity in here!

Anyhow, I will hand out the post to Danielle from
Supper And The Single Girl now, who was so kind to donate to the club a fantastic millet recipe (very worth trying, especially if you like those half salty/half sweet dishes. I have also tried it with quinoa and dried prunes and raisins and it was delish!), which you can see pictured below.


DELIGHTFUL MILLET

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 cup millet
2 cups water
1/4 cup dried cherries
1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
1 tsp coriander
1 tbsp nutritional yeast

PREPARATION

Rinse millet in a strainer and set aside. Toast pine nuts until they brown a bit. Add millet and stir for about a minute.
Add water, dried fruit, and seasonings and stir until water comes to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Serve.

I have to confess I keep playing with the coriander and nutritional yeast amounts. I'm also playing with the instructions a bit.

Enjoy!

11 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

Wow, your millet came out fluffier than mine. Hmmph. But I have a gas stove, and it's difficult to find a good setting for simmering. But I'm glad you liked it.

1:01 am  
Blogger t. said...

It was truly great! The picture does not even do it justice (the millet turned slighty pink because of the cherries, and unfortunately colours are a bit confused in the photo), but the taste was really good!

2:02 am  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

t., i love salty/sweet combos... don't ask me about kettle corn right now though!!! HA! I love how the cherries plump up when they are in this dish. They look spectacular, indeed the dish is inspirational. Thanks for posting!

9:43 am  
Blogger urban vegan said...

looks great, danielle! brava.

4:29 pm  
Blogger erica said...

Wow, I've been searching for breakfast-type millet and quinoa recipes, and here (on the blog) I've found several that look excellent, and better yet, simple! Question - if I leave out the nutritional yeast, will it make a big difference?

6:30 pm  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

looks delicious

9:54 pm  
Blogger Danielle said...

Erica, I don't know what difference it will make if you leave out the nutritional yeast but it's up to you. Let me know how it works if you do.

3:21 am  
Blogger Dori said...

I prepared to add a question about what the red "balls?" were, but see that kleopatra above said they are cherriesd..... they really do look plumped! Looks yum!

6:15 am  
Blogger t. said...

Dori, these dry cherries were great! But the point is they are not only dry: they are sort of preserved under a thing syrup as well. They are the only kind sold here and well, even if they are not as healthy as the dry cherries probably, at least they make up for it with GREAT taste!

2:27 pm  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

this dish looks delicious! love the dried fruit, & i don't think i've had millet before ~ this looks like a great place to start.

6:53 pm  
Blogger Danielle said...

My cherries and apricots are totally dehydrated, so they don't plump up in the cooking.

2:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

29

 

 

 

 
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. Anatole France